Recently at their BUILD conference, Microsoft announced next update for their mobile operating system called Windows Phone 8.1 .This is not the final update and is mainly focused at the developers to try out the new OS. Microsoft is already running a Preview for Developers program through which it allows registered developers to try out it OS updates before the normal users. The final update will be rolled out by the device manufactures and carriers after few months.
Officially this update is only for developers but a normal user can also get a taste of it by following below mentioned simple steps
1. Sign up at Microsoft App Studio : http://appstudio.windowsphone.com/ free of cost , using the same Microsoft ID which you have used on your windows phone.
2. Install the Preview for Developers app and sign in with the same microsoft id which you have used to create App Studio account.
3. Now you can see Enable Preview for Developers option. Select this option and click done.
4. Now you are eligible for all the future developer updates for Windows Phone including the latest Windows Phone 8.1 .
5. Go to Settings>Phone Updates and click check for updates and you will find the latest updates if it is available for your device.
There are two updates available for Windows Phone 8.1. A smaller update which will prepare your device for Windows Phone 8.1 followed by a larger update. The smaller update can be downloaded over mobile network but the larger update will require wifi connectivity.
Note: Windows Phone 8.1 is not available for first generation of windows phones like Nokia Lumia 510, Nokia Lumia 710, Nokia Lumia 800 e.t.c